News & Information



21
September
2018
The Alchemy behind the Mombasa port cargo growth
By: TTCA
The Kenyan Port of Mombasa, handles about 65 per cent of the regional transit traffic on the ports annually compared to Dar es Salaam port which handles the remaining 35 per cent. The market for Tanzania is Zambia, D.R. Congo, Rwanda, Burundi, Malawi and Uganda. Mombasa port still remains a port of choice to Uganda due to a difference in distance of about 600 km compared to the port of Dar es Salaam.

23
August
2018
Justus OMAE NYARANDI, the newly appointed NCTTCA Executive Secretary
By: TTCA
The Northern Corridor Council of Ministers, during its 30th meeting held on 3rd August 2018 at SAROVA WHITESANDS BEACH RESORT in Mombasa, Kenya; appointed Mr. Justus OMAE NYARANDI, to the position of Executive Secretary of the Northern Corridor Transit and Transport Coordination Authority (NCTTCA) effective from 3rd September 2018.

23
August
2018
Northern Corridor Member States committed to the implementation of Single Customs Territory and the African CFTA
By: TTCA
The 30th meeting of Council of Ministers and the 45th Executive Committee meeting of the Northern Corridor Transit and Transport Coordination Authority (NCTTCA) held from 30 July to 3rd August 2018 at Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort in Mombasa, Kenya; under the theme: “Harmonizing Trade and Transport Policies for a Competitive Corridor”, commended the current trade facilitation and integration initiatives and urged all Member States of the Corridor to commit to the implementation of the Single Customs Territory and work towards implementing the African Continental Free Trade Area (African CFTA).

02
July
2018
The 14th NCIP Summit: Leaders reaffirmed their Commitment to advancing Regional Integration
By: TTCA
The 14th Summit of the Northern Corridor Integration Projects (NCIP) held in Nairobi on 26th June 2018 reaffirmed the Leaders’ commitment to advancing regional integration while underscoring the importance of accelerating socio-economic transformation, industrialisation and employment creation

02
July
2018
Goods under Single Customs Territory are cleared faster than those under Home use and Transit regimes
By: TTCA
As reported by the Secretariat of the Northern Corridor Transit and Transport Coordination Authority (NCTTCA) to the 14th NCIP Summit, the Northern Corridor Time Release Study revealed among others that Goods under Single Customs Territory (SCT) are cleared faster at the Port of origin (Mombasa Port), One Stop Centre level, Document Processing Centre and Various Border Posts.

29
June
2018
Vehicle Load Compliance over 90 per cent due to SGR Cargo Train Transporting Heavy Containers
By: TTCA
In the first quarter of the year 2018, Vehicle Load Compliance along the Northern Corridor Weighbridges and High Speed Weigh-in-Motion Weighbridges was over 90% and Mariakani was registering the highest level of compliance of over 99 per cent

18
April
2018
TMEA commits $1.05m for strengthening and enhancing the Northern Corridor Transport Observatory
By: TTCA
TradeMark East Africa (TMEA) and the Northern Corridor Transit and Transport Coordination Authority (NCTTCA) sign a 3 year grant extension agreement worth US$ 1.05 million for Strengthening and Enhancing the Northern Corridor Transport Observatory.

29
March
2018
Northern Corridor: Transport Logistics efficiency through Transport of Cargo by SGR Train
By: TTCA
In the ongoing push to create more logistics efficiency and cost effectiveness, the Northern corridor will see more cargo transported by SGR Cargo train.

27
March
2018
High Transport Rates and Costs are still the silent killers of Trade along the Northern Corridor
By: TTCA
The transport costs in East Africa are on average still about 60% higher than in the US and Europe. Landlocked countries like Rwanda, Uganda, South Sudan and Democratic Republic of Congo can’t export much because the costs are just so high

15
March
2018
Member States of DRC and Uganda to work together to boost Cross Border Trade at Mpondwe-Kasindi border
By: TTCA
The Northern Corridor Secretariat is working with the Road Authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the Republic of Uganda to develop a framework of cooperation and joint Funding mobilization for development of Trade facilitation infrastructure projects to boost cross border and intra-regional trade between the two countries.